Saturday, June 20, 2009

Trinity/Trinitarian

A wonderful blogger buddy asked a good question, one that confuses many. I was confused for a while as well. The question was: Is the word Trinitarian a word, and what is the trinity? Is God one God or is He more than one? (Mind you, this isn't the exact wording, but pretty much what was asked.)
Although the Bible does not say Trinity or Trinitarian in it, it is in fact a real word. You can find it listed in the Websters Dictionary and Wikipedia. That's as far as I had gotten when searching. But for me that was enough proof.
Hank Hanegraff has a great book out. "The Complete Bible Answer Book. Collectors Edition." Now granted there are many that do not like him very well, but he answers so many questions and this book is so helpful. I am not going to write word for word what he has written on this subject, but enough to make a point.
First of all, in the Bible in Genesis 1:26 the first example of where the idea "trinity" came from.

"God said, 'Let us make man in our image, after our likeness." Notice the use of us and our. This implies that God is making a reference to others. Now we all know there is only one God.
Hank writes:
"The word "Trinity"--like "incarnation"--is not found in Scripture; however, it
aptly codifies what God has condescended t reveal to us about this nature and
being. In short, the Trinitarian platform contains three planks (1) there is but
one God; (2) the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God; (3)
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are eternally distinct." (Hanegraff, H. 1984)
Then he goes on to talk about the three planks to this. One being that it is stated that there is only one God. The second that there are many passages that mention the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. He also stated:

"The apostle Paul says that, 'there is but one God the Father'
(1 Corinthians 8:6). The Father, speaking of the Son, says, 'Your throne, O God,
will last forever" (Hebrews 1:8). And when Ananias 'lied to the Holy Spirit,'
Peter points out that he had 'not lied to men but to God (Acts 5:3-4)." (Hanegraff, H. 1984)
Third, "the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are eternally distinct." Throughout the Scriptures, there is plenty that shows the distinct relationships between the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. An example that Hank uses:
"The Father and Son love one another, speak to each other, (John 17:1-26), and
together send the Holy Spirit (John 15:26). Additionally, Jesus proclaims that
he and the Father are two distinct witnesses and two distinct judges (John
8:14-18). If Jesus were himself the Father, his argument would have been not
only irrelevant but also fatally flawed; and if such were the case, he could not
have been fully God." Hanegraff, H. 1984)
This paragraph speaks a lot:

"It is important to note that when Trinitarians speak of one God they are
referring to the nature or essence of God. Moreover, when they speak of persons
they are referring to personal self-distinctions within the God head. Put
another way, we believe in one What and three Who's." (Hanegraff, H. 1984)

All throughout the Bible, it does talk about God as one as a central part. But
it also that God is "eternally three distinct persons," those being the Father,
Son, and Holy Spirit. (This paragraph and the next are not part of the quotes, but will not go back to regular left margin alignment. This is one problem I have with this program. If anyone knows how to fix it, please share for further posts. Thanks)

If you look at the Concordance under God, Jesus, and Holy Spirit. There are many scriptures that speak of them--not necessarily all three at one time--but of them being as one.

One example: Matthew 28:19 "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit," as quoted from Hanks book.
Hank listed areas to look further to back this up.
"James R. White, The Forgotten Trinity (Minneapolis: Bethany House, 2001), and
Robert Letham, The Holy Trinity: In Scripture, History, Theology, and Worship
(Phillipsburg, New Jersey; P&R Publishing, 2004)." (Hanegraff, H. 1984)
If anyone has anything to add, please add in your comments and add permission to use if you don't mind it being added to here. Hope this is of some help.
One thing to keep in mind, you are going to find different view points, as there are different beliefs. There are some religions that don't follow the Holy Bible, instead have a Bible designed to follow their beliefs. I'm a Christian, and we do believe in the trinity/triunity. I grew up a Catholic being taught the same thing.
When I first came back to the Lord, I was confused by the whole concept. During my childhood days, I had misunderstood the whole idea. It took quite some time for me to realize that in fact God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit in fact were one, but three persons in one. I had a hard time understanding how that could work since Jesus had been born through Mary. That is where my whole confusion came in. But now the more I read, the more I understand for the most part.
The way I look at it, and this is may be the wrong perspective to have, but we were not made to understand the whole Bible, but to live by what we learn from it. We can argue all we want as to what is right and wrong with things that are not clearly explained, such as the trinity, since it is not found in the Bible. Instead, it's the concept that has been taken from what is read in the Bible. As we read it, it seems that the three are a triunity. But there are those gray areas too that confuse us. We may never know the truth, but instead, go with your heart, what does God tell you? I asked, He gave me what I've found. I'll follow that. For He alone has all the answers. I figure when we get to Heaven, that's when we will know the facts. For now, what He tells me and teaches me, I'll believe, as I trust in Him and believe Him wholeheartedly.
I will listen to those that are Godly people and be led as they are being led, but I will still talk to the Lord to be sure it's not the enemy taking control of their tongue (which is another subject for a near post). And so I will end here with my humble opinions and belief. I welcome a good hearty discussion on this subject. All I ask is there be no nasty comments with profanity. I will delete your comments if it is written in anger. Thank you and God Bless. Have beautifully blessed day. Happy Fathers Day to all you dads out there!!!
Reference:
Hanegraff, H. 1984. "The Complete Bible Answer Book; A collectors edition." Thomas Nelson
Inc., Nashville, TN.

5 comments:

Cinder Rail'lee said...

My beautiful friend and sister,Thank you for sharing this!

Omah's Helping Hands said...

You are very welcome my prescious friend and sister! Love and blessings to you.

Connie Arnold said...

Thank you for your post on this subject that is difficult for so many people. I realize that I can't completely comprehend it as a human being but someday will. There is nothing physical that is the same, being one and yet three separate entities. But I thank God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit for the faith to accept what I can't totally understand and receive the love and blessings that flow from the three in One.

Omah's Helping Hands said...

Amen to that Connie. So well spoken. I would imagine a great deal of us struggle with this very subject. It is hard to comprehend. That day will come though. Thanks for you comments. Have a blessed week.

Adam Pastor said...

Greetings

On the subject of the Trinity,
I recommend this video:
The Human Jesus


Take a couple of hours to watch it; and prayerfully it will aid you to reconsider "The Trinity"

Yours In Messiah
Adam Pastor