Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Laughter

I'm sure you have all heard the saying, "Laughter is the best medicine." Well I found a quote about laughter while reading a book tonight and want to share it with you all.

Laugh! It’s an Energizing Exercise!

“As with aerobic exercise, laughter temporarily accelerates the heart rate,
increases blood pressure and breathing, enlarges circulation and enhances the flow of oxygen in and out of the body. A hearty belly laugh also exercises the upper torso, lungs, heart, shoulders, arms, abdomen, diaphragm and legs. Laughing 100 to 200 times a day is equivalent to ten minutes of rowing or jogging.
…Belly laughter is the most therapeutic form of laughter, and that
is the reason I recommend ten belly laughs a day to all of my patients. Ten
belly laughs are roughly equivalent to thirty minutes of aerobic
exercise.”
Don Colbert, M.D.

My grandmother had told me that someone who can make you have a good belly laugh was a special person. I always wondered just what she meant by that, and would tell people that could really get me to let loose and have a good belly laugh was special, as to me they were. Now I realize that they are special indeed, as they are adding years to our lives. J Just think, someone gets you to have a good hearty laugh, you are burning calories. Burning calories is good for the heart, lungs, oxygen level etc.

So the next time you feel like laughing, let it out, and look for more laughter in your life. Above all, try to bring laughter into other people’s life as well. The more we laugh, the better we feel. Happy laughing all!

Reference
Bevere, L. 2008. Nurture. Workbook p 53. Messenger International, Inc.

No comments: