Thursday, October 30, 2008

Driving

Today while driving, a piece for posting came to mind. Of course I think about this issue everytime I'm on the road, but it hit me to write about it today.

Have you heard the song, "In a Hurry" I think that's the title any how, by Alabama? Well some of the words are as follows:

"I'm in a hurry to get things done;
Oh I rush and rush until lifes no fun.
All I really gotta do is live and die;
I'm in a hurry and don't know why."

I think of this very thing when I see people rushing, darting in and out of traffic in a hurry. Or when people tailgate, often times even when they have time and room to go around you while on the freeway (very frustrating). I've been fighting my need to yell and distort my face when these people do this--especially when the children are in the car--wondering why they take chances on near accidents. I now try to pray that the Lord guides them and wakes them up to the dangers.

I often think about what I would do if someone caused an accident while I have the kids in the car. Then I remind myself that I have to set an example. I have to admit, it kind of scares me to think of my reaction should one of my grand children be injured due to neglence. I pray the Lord will give the sanity to stay as calm as possible and let Him deal with their ignorance. Being put in jail would not do the kids one bit of good--and no, I'm not a violent person--a protective mother hen, yes. :) LOL

I've had so many near misses lately. People cutting over trying to get one or two more vehicles ahead. Just yesterday where we had plenty of notice to merge to the left due to a lane being blocked for construction, a vehicle came flying up and got over just in time. Yes, I reacted and laid on the horn. He looked at me enough to say, What? Then I prayed. That's a first. I drive my son, daughter, & husband up a wall. Sometimes the grand kids will say, "Omah, you need to take a deep breath!" Awe, the innocence of babes. Gotta love it. Then I'll calm down.

What am I driving at? Those of us being confronted by people not taking the time to think about their actions and driving neglently, we need to be praying for enlightenment for them and safer roads to drive on,and do away with our road rage. Those that are driving neglegently, slow down! Give yourself time to get to where you need to be rather than rushing, taking the chance with others lives and yours. Have you ever thought about what it would do to you mentally should you take a childs life or severely injure them, what it might do to them mentally? Let's all practice more patience. Oh, but don't forget, do not pray for patience. :) Believe me, I learnt that lesson the hard way. LOL!

Besides, rushing and impatience is only going to give you heartburn, or ulcers, or trips to the doctor, or worse to the ER for a heart attack, even worse, six feet underground. The more you get upset--and yes, I know I need to think about this with getting angry with crazy drivers--the more damage you are doing to your heart. Is is worth it? No way! Enjoy life, make the best of it, slow down, enjoy the views, save a life!

No comments: