Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tribute to Grandpa

While reading some comments on Oneminutewriter's blog, I was reminded of a special man. My maternal grand father. He was a POW in the Vietnam war and served in WWII. I have his discharge papers showing that he indeed was a one. My grandfather had a hard time dealing with all that he saw. He took to drinking which caused much harm to his body and made it hard on grandma. Grandma never left his side though. He started out with have bleeding ulcers burst and a trip to the emergency room every time; leaving grandma with a mess of blood to clean up. Eventually grandpa lost a leg to gangrene and then an arm. He had several strokes and could barely talk. It was hard seeing him that way. He was a brilliant man who could not cope with the night mares.

Regardless of all the pain, he still supported the military. Heaven for bid should someone have anything negative to say about it. He was proud when I had joined the Air Force. I miss him dearly. Grandpa, this day was set aside to honor you and all the other brave men and women who have served their country and fought for our freedom. I have nothing but admiration for you. At least now your pain is gone, your suffering over with. May you rest in peace!

No comments: