Saturday, November 15, 2008

Unconditional Love

Last night my little sister called to say the two girls they have been fighting to get custody of was taken from them for now and given back to the mother who is not able to care for them.
:( On their way home from court, her husband commented on how he looked into the babies eyes and saw unconditional love. He said that he had messed up with his boys, but would not mess up with these girls.

That got me to thinking. "Unconditional Love;" what exactly is it?

On wikipedia.com, which I do not use that much anymore stated:

"Unconditional love is a term that means to love someone regardless of his or her
actions or beliefs. It is a concept comparable to true love, a term which is more
frequently used to describe love between lovers. By contrast, unconditional love is
frequently used to describe love between family members, comrades in arms and
between others in highly committed relationships. It has also been used in a religious
context to describe God's love for humankind. However, this can be seen as
contradictory in some cases where God's "unconditional" love is predicated upon the
believer's fulfillment of one or more criteria."

From Webster's New Milennium Dictionary:

"Definition:
affection with no limits or conditions; complete love"

Unconditional love in my eyes says you love someone without any boundaries. You may get upset with them at times, but will forgive. Just like our Lord our Savior. Despite what it says in Wikipedia, I truly believe Gods love for us is unconditional.

My reasoning behind this is due to the fact that despite the years I had become a prodigal daughter, He never gave up on me. When we come back to Him and repent of our sins he takes us back with open arms. Our Father is a loving Father. I love the picture of Jesus being asked "How much do you love me?" And Jesus replies; "This Much" then He spread His arms and died on the cross for us. Is that unconditional love or what?

So my point is, we should follow Gods example and think of the little children--who Jesus loves so much--and their unconditional love.

God Bless!

No comments: