Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Sweet Memories

Memories; what would life be without them?

While cleaning up Thanksgiving day, I was rinsing off a plate my grandmother had made and passed it on to me. My paternal grandmother was an instructor of ceramics. She always taught in her home until my mother and her turned our family run hardware/garage/gas station store into a ceramic shop. We poured our own molds, gave classes, done the firing the whole nine yards.

I marveled over the swiftness and elegance of grandma and her demeanor. She was a loving woman with so much talent. She was the grandma that took me to church and taught me what true faith was all about. Unfortunately I never fully grasped it then. She had such a passion for what she done and produced beautiful pieces of art.

How I wanted to be just like grandma. Full of grace, and in love with our Creator. I rarely saw grandma get mad. She always had open arms a beautiful smile and kindness poured from here.

While cleaning off that plate I had the most warm thoughts come to mind. Grandma, the potter. Granted she didn't sit at a potters wheel, but somehow I knew it was basically the same. It occured to me that when we meet again, she will be sitting at the potters wheel. My grandmother, one of the potters of the Lord. How sweet is that! What a great way to hang on to days of past in loving memory.

Grandma, I miss and love you, but I know you are doing great things where you are. I can't wait to see the beautiful works you have done since departing earth and going home!

7 comments:

~hon~ said...

I admire your grandma. I'm sure I'll be meeting her, too. We might not see her for now but we can follow her footsteps but of course, we'll make unique ones, too. I'm very very sure that your grandchildren admire you as well.

You and your grandma are my inspiration.

Omah's Helping Hands said...

You are so sweet. I look forward to the day I meet you. My grandmother was a very inspiring woman in my life. I hope I am doing the same for my grandchildren. Thank you so much for your kind words. I can't begin to express how much you touch my life with your blog and your comments.

~hon~ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
~hon~ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Omah's Helping Hands said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Louise said...

Thanks for sharing that wonderful memory.

Louise

Omah's Helping Hands said...

It's my pleasure Louise. Thank you for stopping by and commenting.